While not the sole purpose of our guild roleplay is a driving force for many of our members. Immersing ourselves into the roles of our characters and struggling to defeat the Withered Aegis.
Roleplay can take place with as little as two players simply taking turns to act out a scene which can be planing an up coming battle, an argument between characters regarding a trade of materials, teaching a hatchling dragon how to make use of their wings, or anything desired.
There really are no rules when it comes to roleplay however there are a few guidelines. Most importantly remember there are other people involved. We are all here to have fun.
- Stick to the established lore / canon of the Istaria world — As a fantasy world one shouldn’t include things from modern day or sci-fi genres
- Remember that a character’s opinion isn’t the same as a player’s opinion — If a character disagrees or behaves rashly in most cases its simply part of the roleplay. Don’t take the action personally and try to roll with it. This guideline shouldn’t be used as an excuse to behave like a jerk all the time but characters just like people can have bad days or suffer from stress.
- Communicate OOCly (Out of Character) — Engage the other players directly about the on going roleplay. You don’t need to plan out what is going to happen next but setting up some parameters can help with developing the scene. Most importantly if you are not comfortable with what is going on speak up! You don’t have to participate in anything you don’t want to.
- Keep content age appropriate when in public — Istaria is a world where people of all ages gather. Graphic content including violence or any mature themes should be kept privately among consenting players. Please be sure that all parties involved are of a consenting age by local laws. When in doubt don’t do it!
- Do not meta game — Just because a player knows something doesn’t mean a character does. Your group finder may show that another character is hiding on the opposite side of a wall but there is no way the character should know that. Stick to the information your character can get from their own senses or reasonably deduce.
- Do not god mode — You control your own character. You choose what they say, what they do and how they respond to another’s actions and to the world in general. Do not speak for or state how another character responds or what they do.
- Be respectful of other players — If you stumble across another ongoing roleplay, particularly when its not in public area such as a major city, do not simply inject yourself into the role play or announce that the roleplay in any public channel. Be respectful of the other players privacy and desires. If you are interested in participating then send an OOC message to the players involved and ask if you could join in or if you may stay and observe.
- Have fun! — When one truly immerse themselves in their character a player can start to feel the stresses and frustrations when things don’t go according to their plans. Remember this is only a game and its meant to be fun when it stops being fun you should speak up.